Monday, November 9, 2009

November 2009 (week 1) movie watching!

So this weekend I saw 3 movies... busy busy!

The Box
Directed by Richard Kelly.
Starring James Marsden, Gillian Jacobs, Cameron Diaz
Synopsis: Norma and Arthur Lewis, a suburban couple with a young child, receive a simple wooden box as a gift, which bears fatal and irrevocable consequences. A mysterious stranger, delivers the message that the box promises to bestow upon its owner $1 million with the press of a button. But, pressing this button will simultaneously cause the death of another human being somewhere in the world; someone they don't know. With just 24 hours to have the box in their possession, Norma and Arthur find themselves in the cross-hairs of a startling moral dilemma and must face the true nature of their humanity...

THE BOX

Where to start... I don't think I say this a lot but this movie was terrible. I saw the previews on TV a couple weeks before and I had no idea what I'd just watched. Thats pretty much what I'd say about about the entire movie, it didn't really make much sense. It was like they were trying to make a 'new' War of the Worlds but couldn't quite get it together. I wasn't sure if it was aliens, a government conspiracy or just a random psychopath on the loose. Watching the trailer will pretty much cover you for the entire movie and you can save your money for something better.

Men Who Stare at Goats
Directed by Grant Heslov
Starring George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Jeff Bridges, Kevin Spacey
Synopsis: A reporter, trying to lose himself in the romance of war after his marriage fails, gets more than he bargains for when he meets a special forces agent who reveals the existence of a secret, psychic military unit whose goal is to end war as we know it. The founder of the unit has gone missing and the trail leads to another psychic soldier who has distorted the mission to serve his own ends...

men who stare at goats

If you saw the previews, this movie is definitely as odd as it looked. But I liked it, thought it was actually pretty funny. It was a 'what would happen if hippies ran the army.' It was random, ridiculous and nicely poked fun of 'supernatural abilities' and those that defend them. While it was a bit of a stretch of the imagination I think I enjoyed it more because I'm always teasing my mom about being an old hippie. Some of the jokes were better than anything I could ever come up with.

A Christmas Carol
Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Starring Jim Carey
Synopsis: Charles Dickens' timeless tale of an old miser who must face Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet-to-Come, as they help to bring kindness to his otherwise cold heart. The Ghosts remind him of the man he used to be, the hard truth of what the world is today, and what will happen if he does not strive to be a better man. Set around Christmas, the most joyous day of the year, Scrooge realizes the sharp contrast of his own personality...

Disneys Christmas Carol

First off... this is NOT a movie for small children! While the story is a classic piece of literature this version is darker than I remember from my childhood. The very first scene was Jacob Marley in a coffin at the morgue. And that's not even the worst of it. It's creepy and most my time during the movie was spent trying to decide if this was a Christmas or Halloween movie. Any kid would have nightmares watching that but I do have to give Disney/Pixar some credit.
I saw it in 3D and the graphics were astounding. I'm really impressed with how far animation has come in such a short amount of time. It was almost scary how lifelike the characters were.

No comments:

Post a Comment